|Cars - Special|
|Realisation Price||28,320.00 GBP|
|Reg. Number||UK Registered|
Coys / Spring Classics - 08/03/2016 / 1948 Allard L Type / Lot 132
1948 Allard L Type Using a crashed Ford V-8 coupe onto which he had grafted the body from a Grand Prix Bugatti, racing driver Sydney Allard constructed one of the most unlikely of all pre-war trials specials. However, the Allard Special’s lightweight construction and relatively powerful American V-8 engine, although not the first such combination, demonstrated the formula’s potential and provided the inspiration for future imitators, including Carroll Shelby who acknowledged Allard’s influence on the Cobra. Introduced in 1946, the L-Type employed Allard’s trademark independently suspended ‘split’ front axle and transverse-leaf rear end in a chassis 6” longer than that of the contemporary K-Type, the extra length being used to accommodate two rear passenger seats. Like the vast majority of production Allards, the L-Type used Ford/Mercury components, these being readily obtainable from Ford in the UK, the choice of engines being the 221ci Ford or modified 239ci Mercury V-8. A mere 191 examples were produced between 1946 and 1950, only 10 of which are currently known to the Allard Register. This wonderful example in black with a red leather interior was first registered new to a Doctor in Paisley on 03/09/1948. The first two log books are with the car as well as most, if not all, documents to substantiate an unbroken run of owners to the present date which is remarkable. The previous but one owner acquired the car in 1994 having been the subject of restoration by Colin Daniel. Colin was a joiner and had replaced all the suspect timber in the bodywork, carrying out all the mechanical, body and interior work himself. This restoration was covered by a 4/5 page article in the Practical Classics magazine in 1988. Colin also fabricated a jig using the L Type’s front grill with which he was able to reproduce perfect replicas for other club members. During this ownership until 2009, the vendor replaced all braking system components, all steering joints and idler bearing, steering box overhauled, front and rear leaf springs rebuilt, gearbox/clutch/engine overhaul. Also, all major re-chroming took place with a new hood, side screens, tonneaux cover and carpets. The car has had very little use over the last 8/9 years only being used in clement weather. The present vendor has enjoyed it immensely but has recently acquired another and has to make room in his garage, hence this wonderful model being sold. An iconic example of British motoring which was manufactured in Clapham and is still a joy to drive today. Not to be missed.