|Cars - Jaguar|
|Odometer reading||2,968 miles|
Historics at Brooklands / Brooklands Museum 2nd June 2010 Car - 02/06/2010 / 2008 Jaguar C-Type by Heritage / Lot 52
Jaguar built just 53 of the fabulous 150mph C-Type sports racing car which won the 24-hour Le Mans race in 1951 and 1953, indeed, these racing victories are viewed by many as the start of Jaguar's impressive racing history. Sir Stirling Moss readily agreed and described it as one of his favourite cars. The original C-type (XK120C 'competition') used the proven 3.4 liter XK engine from the Jaguar XK120 with a new, lightweight, triangulated, tubular steel frame designed by Bob Knight. The C-type body was of aluminum alloy design sculpted by aerodynamicist Malcolm Sayer. With the elimination of all creature comforts, the C-type was around 455 kilograms lighter than its road-going Jaguar counterparts. The C-type's first appearance at Le Mans in 1951 used the XK120's standard drum brakes and twin S.U. carburetors. It won the 1951 Le Mans at one attempt with drivers Peter Walker and Peter Whitehead piloting the car to victory. In 1953, a more powerful C-type made its appearance at Le Mans using three twin-choke Weber carburetors, high lift camshafts and all-round disc brakes. This C-type won the 1953 Le Mans, with drivers Duncan Hamilton and Tony Rolt, at an average speed of 100mph. Today, ownership of an original C-Type is the stuff of dreams. These cars are built through a meticulous process using accurately crafted components sympathetic to the original features and details that make the vehicle so iconic. The Heritage C-Type offered today is an accurate replica of the original. Built to a high specification, this beautifully presented piece of automotive history was built from a 1969 4.2 litre Jaguar XJ6 donor car. The British Racing Green bodyshell is handcrafted from glass reinforced plastic (GRP) and incorporates all the panels to construct the bonnet, wings, inner wheel arches, boot section and lid, plus the all-important louver panels. The whole bodyshell and aluminium engine bulkhead is fitted to the fully-bracketed tubular space frame chassis that again is accurate to the original. The chassis, suspension and components are shot blasted and finished in silver gloss powder coat to protect the car against decay in future years. The car is powered by a 4.2 litre Jaguar 6 cylinder XJ unit rebuilt to standard specification. The engine has been fitted with rebuilt 2 inch S.U. carburetors. The power generated is delivered to the wheels through a modern 5 speed gearbox, fully stripped and rebuilt including period gear stick. In turn, the wheels, including the spare, are 16"" wire wheels with speed rated tires and correct Jaguar embossed spinners.